Oneida Lake History on the Web
Workers erect the great barn at the Rosamund Gifford Estate, east of Cleveland, about 1930.
OLA members can access information about Oneida Lake History at several sites on the World Wide Web. Among those sites are the following, each accompanied by annotation.
The Fort Brewerton Historical Society maintains this site, which
contains details about the village's prehistoric and colonial histories, as well as details about the society's activities.
Carol White-Hammer recorded these memories of "The Bay". Her descriptions run through the 1940s and 1950s. Other notes about Bernhard's Bay's history can be found under items about the Town of Constantia.
The Anglers' Club was located on Norcross Point, where
the Lake Shore Yacht and Country Club stands today.
The lake as viewed from the former "Spencer's field," Lakeport, now the site of Harbor Lights development.
Oneida Hatchery technicians in the old facility at Constantia in the early 20th century.
TOWN OF CONSTANTIA
Diverse segments of the town's history are displayed here, including poetry, photos, and script.
This site displays the Constantia section of John Churchill's Landmarks of Oswego County, published in 1895.
One of George Scriba's ledgers adorns this site. Scriba was the Town of Constantia's first major developer. His early 19th century investment in over 500,000 acres of land between lakes Oneida and Ontario met with financial disaster.
Anglers display their catch at Lindley's Boat Livery, Sylvan Beach, around 1890